I sometimes see 「と使う」instead of 「を使う」. My understanding was that the only occasion where「使う」takes 「と」is with 引用, as explained here.

(文や句をそのまま受けて)動作・作用・状態の内容を表す。引用の「と」。

For some examples, we don't have to look very far:

[補説]... 仮定形「たら」は、多く「ば」を伴わないで「雨が降ったら中止だ」などと使われ、「遅いからもう帰ったら」のように文末に用いられて8の意を表す。(source)

ゲームを終了すること。「今日は疲れたのでもう落ちます。」などと使われる。(source)

昔、TBSの番組「ザ・ベスト10」で久米宏が なに気に 「〜かしら」と言ったのを見て初めは かなり衝撃でしたが アナウンサーの業界では以外と使われている様です。(source)

But I just saw this:

呼びタメと使っているけど、意味を理解してない☆彡 ということでいいのですかね?? (source)

It sounds a bit odd to me. I thought, "For sure it should be 「呼びタメを使っている」, right?" So why is 「と」used here? And in general when should I use「と使う」instead of「を使う」?

And I am also wondering: with 引用, can I use「を」too? e.g. その文には "what" を使えません。

Probably, this person made a typo while trying to write 呼びタメという言葉を使っている or 呼びタメと言っている.

呼びタメ使っている makes little sense in that context (she's gotten keigo replies).

• Ah I see! Could you please also answer the last line and talk about を使う and quotations? – Eddie Kal Jan 6 at 12:34
    @EddieKai "You can't use (the word) X in that sentence" is その文ではX(という言葉)を使えません. You don't need a quotative-と. – naruto Jan 6 at 16:49
  • It is clear to me now! ありがとうございます!I don't know why I used "に"... "で" makes more sense. – Eddie Kal Jan 6 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.