Learning particles and looking at wa vs ga. From what I have seen wa is the topic/general and ga is for the subject/specific.

I was watching this video which had the following example:

I like Van Gogh's paintings.

Gohho no e ga suki desu.

I understand they are talking about Gogh's paintings specifically so they used ga, but since there isn't plurals in Japanese from what I have learned so far and ga was already used to refer to Gogh specifically and not a specific painting, how does one express the following?

I like this Van Gogh painting.

Fumbling around with translators it appears the entire sentence changes to add this and I become the topic whereas before I was omitted.

Watashi wa kono Gohho no e ga suki desu.

Still learning the basic sentence structures, but is that correct? Because I added this/kono, the entire sentence must change to include myself as the topic? I was expecting to just be able to place kono somewhere in the original sentence. When do I know I need to use Watashi instead of just desu?

If I understand correctly, your basis for asking the question comes from how machine translation handled various things you gave it? That's not a reliable way to discern anything about the language, unfortunately. – Leebo Jan 6 at 6:43
  • @Leebo Ah I know, but that's also why I asked the question to get clarification because I didn't trust it and thought there had to be a simpler way. I bought a text book and going through it, but I haven't hit the grammar sections yet and kinda went down the rabbit hole of learning sentence structure outside of it tonight. – TyCobb Jan 6 at 6:50

I believe I figured out my confusion. Because watashi was omitted in the previous sentences I learned, I thought desu filled in the gap because I misunderstood what it meant in TyCobb desu.. The textbook automatically omitted Watashi wa so I thought desu referred to I in certain situations/contexts.

Upon further research, it is to be, is/am or used to end a sentence after a noun or adjective. This made me realize that suki in Japanese is a na-adjective or noun or both? Need to revisit that, but it's not a verb like it is in English.

So if what I have read is correct, this should be correct:

Kono Gohho no e ga suki desu.

And if I understand writing (or at least typing and checking the chart) in hiragana correctly:

このごっほのえがすきです。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.