Is it common to end the sentence with 事 ? (not the imperative case)

I have often encountered sentences such as

我が望みは、爆裂魔法を放つ事。
My only desire is to let off Explosion.

I understand that 事 is the 事 of nominalization and it could be followed by だ or です。

What nuances does the absence bring (if any) when compared to

我が望みは、爆裂魔法を放つ事だ。

or

我が望みは、爆裂魔法を放つ事です。

Due to the usage of 我が, I would be inclined to think it gives more formality, but I am not really sure.

In this instance it makes it sound more dramatic and possibly pompous.

If the sentence is stand alone (as opposed to being part of a longer text), then it's just briefer and doesn't have this effect. E.g. if you had a list with a sentence 今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べること, then it's not dramatic or pompous - it's just briefer than writing 今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べることだ.

If you write

今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べること。その方が環境負荷が低いのである。

Then it's a writing technique that delivers slightly more impact than writing 今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べることだ。 If you do it a lot it could create a pompous impression (or at least poor style).

It's useful to vary the rhythm. For example, 今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べること。その方が環境負荷が低いのだ。 would be considered a better style than 今年の目標はもっと野菜を食べることだ。その方が環境負荷が低いのだ。 as you avoid repeating だ.

• thanks a lot for the explaination ! Indeed the character that pronounced this sentence likes to make dramatic introductions and use elaborate expressions. – Makoto Jan 3 at 15:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.