I've received something like

主様すごいです

but I don't know what it means and when I translate it, it turns out to be something like

"master is amazing"

or something like that. Either way what does 主様 mean?

主 in this case means someone who posts it. It is originated from net slang "うp主".

"うp" is "up". Please try to type "up" by Japanese keyboard. It should be "うp".
("おk" is also net slang as "O.K.". Type "ok" by Japanese keyboard. It is "おk" as well.)

"up" means "upload". In Japanese, you can say "アップする" (upload something)" when you make a bulletin board online or post a picture/movie in SNS.
("アップ" = up = upload)

Next, 主 in this "うp主" means...

主{Nushi}
動作・行為の主体。また、ある事柄の主人公。「声の主」「うわさの主」 (quoted from デジタル大辞泉)
Subject that do something or the main character in a issue or event.
"声の主{Koe-no-nushi}" = someone/something that speaks something
"うわさの主{Uwasa-no-nushi}" = someone who is gossiped about. (NOT "someone who gossips")

So, "うp主" means "アップした人", that is someone who uploaded(/posted) something.
Then, they got to use just "主".

様 is Japanese honorifics, which is used when you respect someone or in buisness.

田中様{Tanaka-sama}

Therefore,

(うp)主様{Nushi-sama}すごいです
You are amazing.

• So, this seems like the equivalent to the English slang "OP" (original poster)? Dec 29 '20 at 19:52
  • Yes, it looks like original poster. Strictly speaking, "OP" is translated as "スレ主", which means "someone who makes a bulletin board for a theme online (it is called thread in Japan.)". "スレ" stands for "thread" (スレッド). In the first place, スレ主 is the first case of "~主" as net slang. And, "うp" was used as "upload". Then, some start to use ”うp主” combining "スレ主" and "うp". Finally, うp主 is used as someone uploads something..
    – Kay
    Dec 29 '20 at 20:49
  • Now, it seems that "うp主" is as same as "スレ主", but I think someone upload/post something is basically called "うp主" as a slang word.
    – Kay
    Dec 29 '20 at 20:56
  • Worth noting that in Christian contexts, 主様 could probably be read as しゅさま, referring to the Lord. Dec 29 '20 at 22:56
  • @Panzercrisis, Thank you for your comment. Indeed, 主 has many means and pronounciations.. . I am not a christian, but they may not say "主様" in Japan. I often see/hear the word "主イエス・キリスト" or just "主" that means the Lord. Jesus Christ. I have never seen/heard anything but "主" in hymm. However, I also often see/hear ”教主様{kyoshu-sama}”, which means "founder of religion". Especially used for a founder of a new religion, I think.
    – Kay
    Dec 30 '20 at 1:26

At first I thought it was related to ご主人様 (your husband) but I was wrong. It turns out that ”主様” means you but only used on the SNS.

Exemple I found on the internet

主様凄くオシャレで憧れます
You have good sense and I really admire you!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.