I was reading モンスター while learning verbs and read this:

「君は院長のために、あのオペを絶対に成功させなきゃならなかったし、期待にこたえて見事成功させてのけた。

On Jisho it says that のける can be used as an auxiliary verb behind a て form meaning 'to do well despite difficulties'. I have never seen this before. Could someone please provide me with example sentences and explain the grammar behind this?

Grammatically, it's a subsidiary verb. Semantically, 明鏡国語辞典 defines this as follows:

のける

《動詞連用形+接続助詞「て」について》やりにくいことを平気で、またみごとにしてしまう意を表す。「外聞の悪いことを平然と言って―」「たった一晩で修復工事をやって―」

デジタル大辞泉's definition is almost the same:

動詞の連用形に接続助詞「て」を添えた形に付いて、やりにくいことをみごとに、また、思いきってやってしまう意を表す。「少ない日程で作業をやって―・ける」「言いたいことを相手構わず言って―・ける」

Here, やりにくいこと ("difficult thing to do") can be either something that is technically difficult or something that is socially/ethically inappropriate or questionable.

• When it is used with a technically difficult thing, it means "to really do ~", "to succeed in doing ~", etc. It sometimes (but not always) has the connotation of "easily" and used with words like 平然と, こともなげに, 当然のように, etc.
  • When it is used with a ethically/socially questionable thing, it means "dare do ~", "to really do ~", "to have the courage to do ~", "to be bold enough to ~", "not to hesitate to do ~", etc. Can be used for both praising and scorning someone.

The subject is almost always a human. その車は1時間で東京まで走ってのけた sounds a little unnatural to me.

You can see many examples here: http://yourei.jp/%E3%81%A6%E3%81%AE%E3%81%91%E3%82%8B

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.