My textbook [Japanese from zero 1, George Trombley] gives 6 and 8 as roku mai and hachi mai.

But then gives 16 and 18 as じゅうろっまい juu rommai and じゅうはっまい juu hammai.

Is this correct ?

I am only learning but it sounds wrong to me. I would imagine it would be juu roku mai and juu hachi mai.

If so then does 26/28, 36/38, etc. follow the same pattern ?

What’s the textbook? This looks very wrong Dec 23 '20 at 19:49
    If possible, could you post a screenshot of the pages? This is so wrong, I'm left wondering if it might be a printing artifact like a smudge or an accidental fold. Dec 23 '20 at 20:42
    That's an embarrassing error...
    – jogloran
    Dec 23 '20 at 20:53
    I would personally get rid of that textbook.
    – istrasci
    Dec 23 '20 at 21:49
    On a related YouTube video about this lesson from the creator directly, Catharine Hayne commented on this matter, and they acknowledged it was a typo: "It’s a typo. It should be じゅうろくまい and じゅうはちまい. Glad you caught it."
    – Andrew T.
    Dec 24 '20 at 5:32

As you noted, 6枚 should be read as ろくまい, and 8枚 should be read as はちまい.

Similarly, 16枚 should be read as じゅうろくまい, and 18枚 should be read as じゅうはちまい.

I have no idea why your textbook would render these as じゅうろっまい and じゅうはっまい. Neither pronunciation is correct -- these aren't even dialectal variants, so far as I'm aware; they're just wrong.

PS: The larger numbers you asked about, like 26枚・28枚 etc, would still use the standard ~ろくまい・~はちまい pronunciations.

「ろっまい」って、「ろんまい」と読むんですかね
    – Angelos
    Dec 23 '20 at 20:48
    @AeonAkechi, presumably そうでしょう。でも、鼻音には促音を示す「っ」が付かないから、あの教科書は間違えているように見えますが。 Dec 23 '20 at 22:22

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.