I'm not quite sure how to understand what is being said in bold below. The first part is him thinking that he could forgive her a little since she is more beautiful than the ugly girls that have hated him. He then says however, it might actually be ....

頭のどこかで「今まで俺を嫌ってきたブス子さんたちより、そこそこ美人な分少し許せる」と思っていたのだが、逆に一段階ショックかもしれない

Unfortunately 一段階ショック doesn't seem to be a common phrase when googling it, but the hits suggest that it is to do with the "first step/stage" of something. Most of examples I saw on google were describing the first stage of "pet loss" as shock.

Would anyone be able to help me understand what he means?

Believe or not, this is a comparative expression.

逆に一段階ショックかもしれない
It's actually one notch more shocking/hurting

Japanese does not have a piece of grammar that corresponds to the comparative, but it does have several constructions to do its jobs. ショック is a na-adjective in Japanese that means mostly the same as in English: "to be (emotionally) shocked", and the [numeral] + [counter] + [adjective] pattern implicitly conveys the meaning "[numeral] more [adjective]".

一回り大きい one size bigger
二つ年上(だ) two years older (a related post)
三人少ない three fewer people (= outnumbered by three)

In many cases, you'll see a noun phrase with ~より (meaning "than") somewhere before the expression, which should make it easier to understand. However, you will also see it alone if that element is left out.

Bonus: I think 許せる in this passage is better understood as "acceptable" rather than "forgivable".

• Sorry for asking this so late after, but what usage does 分 fall under here? The grammar of it strikes me as odd. – user26484 Jan 22 at 16:24
    @user26484 Does this answer you? japanese.stackexchange.com/q/61583/7810 – broken laptop Jan 23 at 3:01
  • Yes. So it more-or-less means "Her fairly charming qualities (そこそこ美人な分) makes her that much more agreeable" ? – user26484 Jan 23 at 7:09
    I don't quite understand the plot, but I'd read "makes me less offended". – broken laptop Jan 23 at 9:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.