A: ところで、はるって誰ですか
B: 誰とかではなくてですね...

I understand the overall meaning of the conversation but I don't really get why "とか" is used nor why the second sentence ends with ではなくて instead of ではない。

Thank you very much in advance :)

It would help in knowing how to target the answer if you told us what you think the 'overall meaning of the conversation' is. Dec 22 '20 at 23:33
  • B is telling A about the things that will happen when spring (はる) comes, A misunderstands this and thinks (はる) is a person, so he asks the question "by the way, who is はる?" And B replies something like: (はる) is not "someone" Dec 22 '20 at 23:46

誰とかではなくてですね
It's not a question of who but rather ...

This とか means 'things such as' so 誰とか implies "(questions) such as who".

Xではなくて is literally 'not X and ...', but often translates rather more naturally as "rather than X ..."

As a non-native speaker I'm on thinner ground here. I don't know if adding です is grammatical but I think, rather than leaving the sentence hanging with the ..., it converts it into a statement, but I can't think of a natural way to put all those parts together into an English sentence, so I think I;ll stick with my translation above. Maybe someone else can do a more convincing job.

This です is grammatical. I guess this です(ね) is a politer version of this だ.
    – naruto
    Dec 23 '20 at 11:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.