I was reading an article at nhk news web site and I found a sentence which I'm not pretty sure what the meaning really is. Here's a fragment:

試験ではまず、日本の県や町などで、将来どんな問題が起こるかが書いてある文章を読みます。そして、どうやってその問題をなくしたらいいか、スマートフォンやパソコンを使って情報を集めて、レポートを書きます。大学は、試験を受ける人が外にいる人にメールなどで試験の問題を送ったりしないように、チェックする人を多くします。

What i'm a little bit concerned about is the 多くします part. 多く is an adverb which means something like: a lot, much, abundant so I might think that the meaning would be something like " to do very much" or "to do something with frequency" Am I right? Please help.

The cut down sentence is:

大学はチェックする人を多くします。
The universities will make sure there are a lot of people to check (on the students)

Literally "The universities will make the people doing the checking many".

This usage of adverbs with する happens a lot, and you can't normally translate the adverb as an English adverb without it sounding really awkward; 'many-ly' is not a word. Another example which instantly springs to mind is 部屋をきれいにする (cleanly make the room = make the room clean = clean the room).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.