Literally it appears to translate to "It's not a hated development"

But google translate puts it as "I don't hate it". The subtitles of the program I'm watching put it as "I don't dislike the idea".

I wonder if it is an idiomatic way to say that I don't hate something, or if it specifically is referring to a development.

For example, if you tried some ice cream and it was okay, would you say 嫌いな展開じゃないよ

I assume not. Whereas if you went into your performance review and they said we're going to give you a performance review and if you pass we'll promote you, could you say afterwards to your friend 嫌いな展開じゃないよ (i.e. I don't dislike this [unexpected] development)?

The first rule of Google Translate is "Do not trust Google Translate." – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 19 '20 at 0:40

For example, if you tried some ice cream and it was okay, would you say 嫌いな展開じゃないよ

For this, my answer is no, you may say 悪くない or simply 美味い. I think 展開 has the meaning here that the story is developing and you are expecting something interesting or good will happen later. There seems to be no follow-up in this case.

For the performance review situation, I'm not sure, but it seems a little weird, because in this situation you have not yet pass the performance review. I think after you getting the result of performance review you can use it, as at that time, you are expecting something more certain for a longer period.

Hope it helps and tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.