In an online dictionary for 単独, 単独 is used seemingly as an adverb in two example sentences, but with different particles:

「単独で登頂する」 「単独に存在する」

99% of other 単独 examples online use で. Since this is a very reliable online dictionary in my experience, what is the grammar of using 単独に here? Is 単独 treated as a different part of speech in 単独に versus 単独で?

+50

There's definitely some freedom of choice, but で suggests agency (by whatever is "independent"), whereas に suggests passivity/staticity. It's not by chance that 単独で is used with 登頂する, and 単独に is used with 存在する.

Other examples I found on the Shonagon corpus:

『幻想交響曲』のみが 単独に コンサートで演奏される

に feels best here, since 幻想交響曲, which is what is played independently, is the object of action. (The passive structure here is irrelevant, I would still use に in 『幻想交響曲』を単独に演奏する.) 『幻想交響曲』を単独演奏する, on the other hand, sounds a bit more like "[someone] is playing it by themselves", although to me, both interpretations are valid.

夫が 単独で 移住するケース

で sounds better here, since the independence describes the agent, 夫.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.