Original Japanese: やがて、そんな生活に慣れはじめると、今度は物事をじっくりと考えることが苦痛になってきた。

Google translate: Eventually, as I began to get used to such a life, it became painful to think about things.

Microsoft translate: Before long, when I began to get used to such a life, it became painful to think about things carefully this time.

My own very very rough translation EDITED: In the end, that sort of life when I start to grow accustom to it, now without rushing everything my thoughts gradually become agony.

Why do the google translate and the Microsoft bing translate lack a “and” as I think the 慣れ is a continuative form connecting two phrases?

Toyu_Frey, you'd better read a simple textbook again and solidify the basics before trying real novels for native speakers. This usage of 始める is a JLPT N4 grammar point. This こと is a nominalizer, which is also N4. I feel you are learning inefficiently because the learning resource you're using doesn't match your level... – naruto Dec 14 '20 at 13:31
  • @naruto I admit to sometimes not connecting what I've been taught in terms of the basics with what I read, and it is a ongoing issue. What kind of book or story would be appropriate to attempt translating for me, if not the one I have atm? – Toyu_Frey Dec 15 '20 at 15:33
  • @naruto I understood that the koto is a nominalizer when I translated the sentence the first time, my notes have "to think/to remember verb; after an inflectable word, creates a noun phrase indicating something the speaker does not feel close to; ga particle; " for the "考えることが" segment of the original Japanese. – Toyu_Frey Dec 17 '20 at 8:27
  • As I said, you have to master the basic grammar before trying long sentences. You seem to vaguely remember you learned about ~始める and こと somewhere in your classes, but you still cannot use them to make a reasonable translation. (By the way, 考える does not mean "remember".) – naruto Dec 18 '20 at 7:34

Verb stem + はじめる is a standard grammar pattern which means "to start/begin doing verb".

So, even though you really shouldn't be trusting Bing and Google translate, in this case they have got it right.

• I don't trust em, only using them to double check my translations when I find a roadblock in translation, lol. Thanks for the help! – Toyu_Frey Dec 14 '20 at 10:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.