https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvBrve8BLog&t=2m57s

sm21891947 - スーパーメトロイド(SFC) 店頭映像 | Super Metroid Promotional Preview

The official english captions for this sentence gives:

もう戦う気力も尽きかけている。= My powers grow with each battle.

but google translate gives

I'm running out of energy to fight.

Or maybe the translator who wrote the official english captions thought it was:

もう戦う気力も付きかけている

I realize that there was another post that is similar to my own, but that question seems to not have been answered: 気力がつきかけていた: What meaning does かける have here? And which つき is this?

明らかに翻訳ミスですねえ。。。official english captions ってどこで見えるんですか?そのビデオには付いてないんですが。 – Chocolate Dec 14 '20 at 1:11
  • @Chocolate youtube.com/watch?v=quR5-FEaM9c&t=184s Super Metroid Official Nintendo Ad Reel 3/19/1994 – SomaRise Dec 14 '20 at 1:30
    ありがとうございます。やっぱり翻訳ミスですねえ。。他にもいくつかおかしいところありますね、「私には前進しか許されないのだ」を "I will never forgive them!" とか。。。 – Chocolate Dec 14 '20 at 1:42
  • @Chocolate 私はその質問をここに投稿しました:":japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/83077/… – SomaRise Dec 14 '20 at 1:53
  • ☝あら、気づきませんでした。。。ちなみに「こんな薄気味の悪いところからは、早く逃げなければ。」「ここでやられるわけにはいかないんだよ」の訳も怪しいような気がします(訳した人は、「~なければ。」と「~わけにはいかない。」っていう表現を知らないみたい)。 – Chocolate Dec 15 '20 at 1:22

It's もう戦う気力も尽きかけている, or "I'm running out of spirit/energy to fight".

Simply, we never say 気力が付く, although we say 精力が付く.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.