"This store has all sorts of bags": この店鞄が色々あります should be a good translation and a natural sentence, which is different from "There are all sorts of bags in this store": この店には鞄が色々あります.

The Question: I would like verification that even without に the two English translations can be acceptable, because "There are [...] in this store" conveys the same meaning as "This store has [...]"

[this is not based on translation style-preference, i.e., literal, paraphrase, verbum pro verbo, etc., but a grammatical question in re: absolute necessity of に in the topic marker "には" and semantic equivalence of the 2 proposed English translations]

thank you in advance for your time and attention in this matter!

Hum, I don't think the two sentences are 100% equivalent in English or Japanese. For example, consider eBay.... eBay has lots of bags, yet there are no bags in eBay. – Ragaroni Dec 13 '20 at 13:17
  • @Ragaroni "yes, but..." (1) your example diverges from a physical place, such as store; (2a) strictly speaking, eBay doesn't 'have' bags, but the owners of the bags do -- presumably "in" a place: house, garage, closet (2b) to be fair, your point is correct here, too, "the closet" does not "have"; (3) casuistry clarifies by excluding the liminal, but the question remains unanswered: Thanks, but please offer an answer to the question. – hanna.banana Dec 13 '20 at 13:40
  • I think part of @Ragaroni's point is not casuistry, but rather pointing out that your question presupposes a faulty premise. And given that faulty premise, your question isn't really answerable. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 15 '20 at 0:19
  • Put another way, この店は expresses a topic of この店 ("this store"), whereas この店には has a topic of この店に ("in this store"). The first topic ≠ the second topic: not semantically equivalent, in either language. – Eiríkr Útlendi Dec 15 '20 at 0:29
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi Tyvm!! your comment (re-)indicates, as I stated, the literal meaning of the 2 Japanese versions as reflected in the 2 English sentences. However, the question remains unanswered: "even without に the two English translations can be acceptable". hope this clarifies :) – hanna.banana Dec 15 '20 at 4:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.