I learned the grammatical structure of の for questioning (and explaining) things a while ago, but the exact meaning and which gender uses it has kind of confused me.

Here are a few varied sentence I'd first like to confirm whether my understanding of the meaning is correct (I've translated them based on the feeling I'm get when I hear them):

暇があるの? - You have free time? (I thought you didn't)

暇がないの? - You don't have free time? (I thought you did)

暇があるんじゃない? - (But surely) You have free time don't you? (Confirming as if you know they don't) - do I need a の at the end?

暇がないんじゃない? - (But surely) You don't have free time don't you? (Confirming as if you know they do) - do I need a の at the end?

Isn't 暇があるんじゃないの? not used because it doesn't make sense / sounds weird? And then should you add to the end because it sounds a little feminine or replace with んですか? or のですか? to be more formal?

Explanatory の is gender-neutral. You can say 暇があるんじゃないの safely in informal settings, regardless of your sex, when you highly suspect the listener has some spare time.

As your textbook probably explains, の is used to seek clarification. You usually need some context before making a の-ending question.

• 暇(が)ある?
    Do you have time?
  • 暇(が)あるの?
    (That makes me wonder, so) do you have time?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.