I have been trying to grasp the concepts of transitive vs intransitive as I learn Japanese and had some questions on the following

窓を開けている... OK 窓を開けてある..... OK 窓が開いている.... OK now I have an issue with the following sentence

窓が開けてある.... X?

does 窓が開けてある, make sense? I thought it would be wrong since we cannot use が with 自動詞. In my book under the transitive verb portion is says that

object set by the particle を

Thus should the grammatical sentence be 窓を開けてある?

You are correct that at the basic level only transitive verbs (and some intransitive exceptions) should be used with the particle を to mark their objects. However, this changes the moment things verbs are conjugated into other forms. てある is a stative verb. Once ~てある is added to the end of a verb, it loses transitivity.

So although you would use を in this sentence:

誰が窓を開けた。
Someone opened the window.

You would not use を in the following sentences:

誰かに窓が開けてある。 The window was opened by someone (for a certain purpose).

窓が誰かに開けられた。 The window was opened by someone。

So, in cases like ~てある and the passive form (開けられる), transitive verbs no longer use the particle を. Once verbs are conjugated into other forms, the way they are used often changes. As a result, 「窓を開けてある」would not be correct in most contexts.

There are exceptions where ~てある is used with the particle を to emphasize the volition of the agent, but it is not regarded as grammatically correct by most. Oftentimes, を is also replaced by は in those circumstances.

• Not to mention there are still some Intransitive verbs that use を right out the box, such as 出る. As in, 場所を出る – Lucas Dec 8 '20 at 5:25
  • Hi @Shurim, do you mean then using を is incorrect here? When I asked my Japanese friend he said 窓を開けてある makes sense to him although he feels it sounds a bit weird. – bob Dec 8 '20 at 14:06
  • @Lucas, yes my book listed when you are leaving or entering a location as an exception – bob Dec 8 '20 at 14:06
  • @bob As Yuuichi says in his answer, を sounds a bit awkward with ~てある. It does exist, but is rather rare. – Shurim Dec 8 '20 at 16:37

が ~ + a transitive verb + てある and が ~ an intransitive + ている mean "the state of the result". So 窓が開けてある and 窓が開いている are natural.

窓を開けている is the progressive form of 窓を開ける or someone keeps the window open intentionally.

I think 窓を開けてある is a bit unnatural and isn't often used.

Source:https://www.tomojuku.com/blog/teoku/tearu1/ http://www.coelang.tufs.ac.jp/mt/ja/gmod/contents/explanation/046.html        

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.