Some times I encounter the phrase (ex: 世間の知るところとなる) and the usage of ところ seems unusual to me so after looking up in a dictionary I found this meaning for ところ:

《漢文の、受身を表す「所」の訓読から。「…ところとなる」の形で》前に置かれた語句が示す行為の対象であることを表す。「世人の称賛する―となった」

Is this the meaning being used here? If so, would "世間の知るところとなる" be essentially the same as "世間に知られる"?

Yes that is the correct definition. The definition says this type of ところ refers to the object/target of the preceding verb, which may be true but is a little puzzling. The very literal translation would be something like "It became the target of people's knowing", but practically, it's okay to simply think ~ところとなる is just a set phrase that means "it turns out that ~".

As the dictionary says, this is from a convention of kanbun kundoku, which is a technique of forcibly reading Chinese passages as Japanese. There are many unconventional word usages in this field, and a few of them are occasionally used in stiff texts. 能わず is another example of this.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.