I assume the answer is no.

I am asking, because my IME (Mozc) converts おにょみ into 音読み (same with くにょみ→訓読み).

I think this is simply a matter of convenience to save the user from having to press [n] twice, but I can't think of any other word where this kind of feature is implemented.

So is there anything more to this?

Another way to type the word is on'yomi – Nayuki Dec 7 '20 at 1:57

おにょみ does not make sense except as deliberate 変換ミス (e.g. for comical effect).

Handling such mistypes is a common IME feature for words with ん+ vowel combinations or ん+な行.

IME settings screenshot

As shown in the screenshot, another common example is おんあ(onna)→女.

Adding on to Igor's answer, which addresses the spelling aspect. Let's look at the pronunciation.

Is おにょみ a valid pronunciation of 音読み?

In a word, no.

• おんよみ is pronounced something like [[õ̞.ɰ̃.jo̞.mi]] in normal speech. This has four distinct morae ("beats", the timed length of sounds in Japanese). The ん between two vowels causes nasalization, marked by the tilde ~, with the specific mora of the ん often realized as something like a tight //u// sound with nasalization: technically, [[ɰ̃]], a nasalized voiced velar approximant.

• Meanwhile, おにょみ would be pronounced as something more like [[o̞.ɲ̟ʲo̞.mi]]. This has only three distinct morae, and no nasalization.

音読み is only ever spelled in kana as おんよみ, with four kana corresponding to the four morae, and with ん correctly indicating the nasal consonant.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy