Is it possible to grammatically combine two separate sentences Xがverb。Yがverb。into just one sentence Xが、Yが、verb。? For example,

料理ができる。掃除ができる。→ 料理が、掃除が、できる。

My original motivation is to understand the role of が in the more complex sentence:

ただ喜びと悲しみのあいだにある多くの事象、その互いの位置関係みたいなもの、まだうまく見きわめられなかっただけだ。(村上 春樹. 一人称単数 (Japanese Edition) (Kindle Locations 23-25)

I found many questions regarding multiple use of the が particle in a sentence but to the best of my knowledge they concern the case in which one of the が is on a relative clause which I think it is not the case here.

What you have suggested is possible. Murakami's sentence is an example of right-node raising explained here:

But usually you should not do this in a simple sentence like 「料理が、掃除ができる」. This sounds unnecessarily literary or even theatrical to me. This might be fine in lyrics or as a catchphrase of a robot, but in most cases you should be saying 料理や掃除ができる or 料理と掃除ができる instead.

もちろん、the simple sentences were meant only to make the question easy to read. Many thanks! – Sergio Parreiras Dec 5 '20 at 5:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.