Today I came across this sentence: "見ていて難しくない?"
That question was used to ask an actor about his own movie. And when I used Google Translate it gave me this translation: "Isn't it difficult to watch?"
When I first saw it, I interpreted it from what I know of the て form usage, like "After watching it, difficult don't you think?" but I wasn't so sure so I had to check Google Translate for that result.
I tried some other examples that I made up myself like "聞いていて良くない?" or "やっていて簡単じゃない?" and they all resulted in a translation that has the pattern of "Isn't it ... to ...?"
So is my interpretation correct and this is just a way Japanese people use to express the idea "Isn't it ... to ...?" or it's an actual grammatical structure that I'm not aware of?

• Looks like google's translate close to truth. Bust examples to understand this sentence are 毎日筋トレやっていて、大変じゃない? or Tシャツだけで散歩していて、寒くない? Isn't it difficult to do exercises everyday or isn't it cold to walk only in a t-shirt – rzlvmp Dec 1 '20 at 7:25
  • @rzlvmp Adding a comma makes it way more understandable to me though. It seems to me that it's just like two clauses joined together by a て form. Can I put it this way without changing the meaning? 毎日筋トレやっているのは大変じゃない? – Huân Bùi Dec 1 '20 at 8:18
  • I don't think this is some set grammatical construct, but rather simply a reordering of the sentence structure for emphasis. – user40476 Dec 1 '20 at 11:11
  • 見ていて難しくない may mean something like "While watching it, don't you feel it's difficult", but we need more context to answer a question like this. Please provide three of four original sentences before this. – naruto Dec 2 '20 at 9:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.