In the context of:

今日早いね 急いでるからじゃあ後で

I gathered that it means, "you're early today" "I'm in a hurry, see you!"

Google translate split it up into isoi derukara -> hurry out-from

But isoi isn't a word? Isoide is a word. Have isoi and deru been combined into isoideru? If so, why doesn't the deru have the kanji?

You aren't wrong that 急いで is an expression in its own right, but 急いでる is here a contraction of a conjugated verb used in casual speech.

急ぐ is the relevant verb (meaning 'hurry'), so the て-form is 急いで; so, the ている conjugation is 急いでいる (lit. 'I am hurrying', more naturally 'I'm in a hurry'). But, because it a bit of a mouthful to pronounce all of those sounds casual speech, the い is often dropped, leaving you with 急いでる.

To answer the question directly, then, 「急いでるから...」 here really holds the meaning of "I'm in a hurry, so...", which fits with your interpretation.

It's sort of equivalent to saying "gonna" or "yeah" instead of "going to" or "yes" in English: not necessarily "proper" but totally understood and accepted/preferable in the right contexts.

See e.g. this article from Maggie Sensei for more examples and similar conventions: https://maggiesensei.com/2016/03/28/casual-contraction-dropping-い-i-てん-ten-とくtoku/

Hope that helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.