To be more specific, my question relates to the judo throw named "釣込腰" ("tsurikomi goshi"). The most common translation I've seen is "lifting and pulling hip/waist throw" (e.g. the Wikipedia entry). However, definitional/translation resources (such as Wiktionary and Google Translate) seem to indicate "fishing/angling" as the most common meaning/translation of "釣込" or just "釣".

I can see the sense in metaphorically relating the action of lifting and/or pulling to fishing (angling), but I'm wondering if there might have been more to it than that, like "reeling in", perhaps. Unfortunately, Jigoro Kano (the founder of Kodokan Judo) is no longer available for comment, and many modern, accomplished judoka (in my experience) are as weak in Japanese language skills as I am. So I was hoping for a little scholarly (and non-martial) insight into the quotidian meaning of this term as it would have been used in late 19th to early 20th century Japan.

I'm neither a master of Judo, nor Japanese, but "釣込" might be a contraction of the verb "釣り込む". If that makes sense in this context? – user40476 Nov 26 '20 at 11:36

As shown in this dictionary entry, 釣る and 吊る belong to the same spectrum of "using a rope-like thing to hang/hoist/lift something". In a sense, Japanese 釣る ("to fish") is a specialized version of 吊る ("to hang"), just as 訊く ("to ask") and 盗る ("to steal") are specialized versions of 聞く ("to listen") and 取る ("to take"), respectively. Although 釣る almost always means "to fish" today, it was sometimes used simply in the sense of "to hang" in the past. For example, I believe 釣鐘 was named as such simply because it's hanging, not because it's related to fishing. See these search results from 青空文庫全文検索, too. Thus, if there is no clear evidence that 釣込腰 has anything to do with fishing, I think it's safe to assume this 釣 just means "lifting (with arms)".

込 roughly means "inwards", "towards someone", "putting inside", etc. Judo players may understand why it's there better than me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.