Why does 上がったり mean doomed business etc. even if in 上がったり下がったり it means going up/improving (as does 上がる)?

Is it shortened from a longer phrase or something? Thanks

• Where did you get the sense that 上がったり means "doomed business"? Could you provide any context, or the source you used? – Eiríkr Útlendi Nov 25 '20 at 23:34
    @EiríkrÚtlendi they're referring to this word weblio.jp/content/%E4%B8%8A%E3%81%8C%E3%81%A3%E3%81%9F%E3%82%8A – Leebo Nov 25 '20 at 23:36
  • @Leebo, thanks, ya, but that doesn't refer to a "doomed business" -- on its own, the noun sense is more like "doomed-ness", as I understand it. Without knowing more about where Jack encountered the term, it's hard to know how to address the question. – Eiríkr Útlendi Nov 25 '20 at 23:39
  • @EiríkrÚtlendi I think that's just how it shows up in E-J dictionaries – Leebo Nov 25 '20 at 23:40
    I'm guessing Jack looked at this jisho.org/word/%E4%B8%8A%E3%81%8C%E3%81%A3%E3%81%9F%E3%82%8A and got "doomed business" from it, when it's like "doomed (of a business)" in that entry. – Leebo Nov 25 '20 at 23:43

One meaning of あがる is something along the lines of "to be finished," "to be over," "to stop functioning," etc.

This is the meaning used in 商売が上がったりだ。

"Up" can have a similar meaning in English, such as in the sentence "My contract is up in 3 weeks." It's not negative here, but the meaning of "over" is there.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.