I am aware that there is a similar question with a great answer, however I feel like it could be expanded upon. I don't have enough points to comment, so I decided to post it as a seperate question.

My question is what's the difference between:

光景, 情景, 景色 景観, 眺め, 見晴らし, 場面

I know they all essentially mean view, scenery and/or spectacle, but what are the more nuanced differences?

Also, since 光景, 情景 and 場面 have been explained in the other question, feel free to leave the definitions out; if you feel like they've been explained well enough.

• 場面: scene in the sense of "situation"

• 光景: a memorable scene seen by one's eyes

• 情景: scene in the sense of "vision", something imagined in one's mind

• 景色: wide scenery/landscape (typically of nature)

• 景観: beautiful landscape (e.g., of a city) maintained by people

• 眺め: scenery/scene seen from a distance (眺める = to see from a distance); outlook

• 見晴らし: wideness/openness/clearness of a view

光景 can refer to any memorable scene/scenery perceived by your eyes. 景色 tends to refer to a wide scenery seen from a distance. 景観 tends to be used in the context of city design, etc.

• あの日部屋で見た光景
    the scene I saw in my room that day
  • 富士山の山頂から見た景色
    the scenery seen from the top of Mt. Fuji
  • 美しい京都の景観を守れ!
    Protect the beautiful landscape of Kyoto!

眺め and 見晴らし are often interchangeable, too, but 眺め focuses on what you're seeing (from a distance), whereas 見晴らし focuses on how far or how much you can see. For example 良い眺め tends to refer to a beautiful/pleasing view, whereas 良い見晴らし tends to refer to an open/clear view.

Still, the following five phrases mean almost the same thing, "wonderful scenery seen from the observation deck of Tokyo Skytree":

• スカイツリーの展望台から見た素晴らしい光景
  • スカイツリーの展望台から見た素晴らしい景色
  • スカイツリーの展望台から見た素晴らしい景観
  • スカイツリーの展望台から見た素晴らしい眺め
  • スカイツリーの展望台からの素晴らしい見晴らし
  • I feel like 風景 should be included here too.
    – Simon
    Oct 18 at 9:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.