I'm playing a game and I came across a dialog where a person says:

置いてくもん置いてきゃ
許してやらなくもないぜオラァ!

And I'm having a difficult time understanding how this grammar was formed. I am mainly lost on the 置いてくもん置いてきゃ part. I do not understand what 置いてくもん is at all and it seems like 置いてきゃ was formed by doing:

置いていく → 置いていけば → 置いていきゃ → 置いてきゃ

If you leave...

So what is and how is the 置いてくもん part formed?

My translation overall is something like:

You better leave... If you leave...
Well then perhaps we can forgive you!

Background context of the situation:

During this part of the game a cutscene is played where you are running down a path and ram into a group of 3 people. You knock them all down to the ground in the process. Once they get up, they show their anger and say the above. Ultimately the game puts you into a fight with them where you must beat them up.

置いてくもん置いてきゃ

It's a colloquial, contracted pronunciation of

置いていくものを置いていけば
"If you leave what you (are supposed to) leave"

It consists of:

置いていく(置いて行く) ⇒ 置いてく
もの(物) ⇒ もん
を is left out
置いていけば(置いて行けば) ⇒ 置いてきゃ

置いてく is a relative clause that modifies もん.
[置いてく]もん literally means "things [that you leave]".

• Out of curiosity, is it safe to treat this 〜てやらなくもないぜ construction as a more indirect way of expressing てやるぜ? – user26484 Nov 23 '20 at 4:11
    @user26484 You may want to read: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/70537/9831 It's like saying ~してやってもいいんだぜ in a condescending manner. – Chocolate Nov 24 '20 at 2:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.