I’ve learned the difference between しか~ない and だけ. But I’m still struggling to understand the difference between ばかり and だけ. (Feel free to explain しか~ない if you want to)

New contributor
Alex is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

ばかり has a nuance of being a lot, or too much. Depending on when it is used the speaker may be trying to express there negative feelings or disapproval for something or a situation. だけ generally only refers to a limit. There is this, and nothing else.

最近ニンジンばかり食べています。
最近ニンジンだけ食べています。

The above sentences both translate to "recently I am eating only carrots". But, the first sentence suggests that the speaker would like to be eating something else. The second sentence sounds more like it is a choice and for some reasons they are deciding to eat nothing but carrots.

Also, the first sentence may also be a dramatic way to say that someone is eating too many carrots but may actually also be eating other things.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

Alex is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.