In the sentence:

掟は ちゃんと教えないとね (okite wa chanto oshienai to ne)
[You must be taught the rules properly.]

I'd like to understand this pattern of using verb-nai-to(-ne). Thanks.

If you want to express obligation in Japanese, like X has to do Y or X must do Y in English, you have to say something like if X doesn't do Y, it's bad. The first part of that structure, the if X doesn't do Y is expressed by conjugating the verb in three possible ways. One of them is ない + と. For example, 教えないと means if X doesn't teach. Then you'd have to add something like いけない or ならない for the second part of the structure, the it's bad part. But in colloquial speech it's usually omitted. So saying I have to go is exactly the same as if I don't go.

Here you have a more detailed explanation.

掟は

as for the code/rule

ちゃんと

properly

教えないと

Must teach (same as 教えないとだめ/教えないといけない/教えなければいけない etc...). I think this is the issue. Must in Japanese can come in various forms.

right?

Full sentence translated might be something like this: The code must be told properly.

Adjusted the word from "teach" to "told" since it sounds better for me, but we don't know the actual context here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.