I usually do not ask a question here unless after trying multiple times I am still stumped and admit defeat.

I understand that かわりもしない would mean "has not changed even a single bit" putting emphasize on the verb as part of the negative, but I do not know the meaning of this も in a positive.

For now I tentatively understand かわりもします here to mean either "he has definitely changed" (ie, emphasis) or "he has changed, among other things" (meaning of 'also' implying other things in addition) but I don't know which or if it's something else altogether.

市川:…かわったわね、アキラくん…
広瀬:そりゃあかわりもしますよ。今までライバルらしいライバルなんかいなかったんだもの

• Thanks for adding the image. Very helpful to see the context. – Jesse Casman Nov 10 '20 at 18:34

This type of も does not mean "also". In this case, it adds the nuance of "of course", "it's only natural" or "it's no wonder". It is used with something that describes a reason or a cause.

• 昨日から何も食べてないの? そりゃ、お腹空くよ。
  • 昨日から何も食べてないの? そりゃ、お腹が空きするよ。
  • 全く連絡がないんだから、心配しますよ。
  • たった1000円なら、流石に買えしますよ。(=買えますよ)
  • そんなに悪く言われたんじゃ、彼怒るわけだよ/彼が怒りするわけだよ。

In this manga, the reason part is added after the result part.

I could not pinpoint the specific definition in monolingual dictionaries, but basically this should be related to "exclamatory-も" or "も to make the sentence sound reserved". This も is used to vaguely describe "how things turn out naturally".

You can find the same も in the のももっともだ construction, too.

Thank you! I was not able to find this meaning of も out on my own. – Janusz ヤヌシュ Nov 8 '20 at 14:14
  • Even in English we use "too" (in sort of the "also" sense) to add emphasis. I think "I do too!" (I had to be sure it was "too" and not "to") is an example -- this is, to my ears, a kind of old-fashioned (maybe 1940s American) usage that barely ever comes up anymore and might not even be understood by younger speakers. – releseabe Nov 9 '20 at 11:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.