Full text:

グレード・オプション装備により記録されるデータ項目は異なります。な お、コンピューターは会話などの音声や車内の映像は記録しません。

My understanding: The data items recorded will vary depending on the grade and optional equipment. Please note, the computer does not record any audio or in-car video footage of the conversations.

My Issue: グレード・オプション. Is it grade and optional equipment or grade option equipment? How do we translate the ・?

The "・"symbol is used as a space between two words. Japanese doesn't normally use spaces, but the foreign words being used might confuse a Japanese reader, so the space helps the reader realise that there are two separate words: grade and option.

From the context, I assume that this car(?) comes in different grades, which have different specifications. On top of that, a buyer can choose different options within a grade. So the data recording will depend on both the grade (of vehicle) and the optional equipment.

• Yes, the Japanese texts are from a car manual. Thank you for helping me understand. – Harpreet Singh Kapula Nov 9 '20 at 8:42

Unless "grade option" has a specific meaning in your context, this symbol is just "and" or "or". It's interchangeable with や. Your translation seems fine to me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.