This is script from a game where 2 characters are talking to each other. One says:

「賞金が出たら馬を買おう
セボック村にまた馬が戻ってくるんだ
徴集兵のバイトなんかオサラバだぜ

Here is the NTSC-U version:

With a reward, I'll get a horse
and return to T'Bok Village.
It'll end my mercenary work.

I don't understand what また馬が戻ってくるんだ means exactly. Maybe, "Horses are making a comeback in T'Bok Village." or "Horses are becoming popular once again in T'Bok Village."?

1 Answer 1

The text and translation

I'm not sure what NTSC-U is, and we don't have a lot of context, but their translation seems a bit off.

Let's treat each line as a separate statement.

賞金が出たら馬を買おう

Breaking that down word by word:

[賞金]{Reward   }[が]{[SUBJ]   }[出たら]{if/when comes out   }[馬]{horse   }[を]{[OBJ]   }[買おう]{maybe/will buy}

"With a reward, I'll get a horse" → Close enough, I guess.

セボック村にまた馬が戻ってくるんだ

[セボック]{T'Bok   }[村]{village   }[に]{to   }[また]{again   }[馬]{horse   }[が]{[SUBJ]   }[戻ってくる]{return / come back   }[んだ]{[EXPLANATORY]}

"and return to T'Bok Village." → Given the grammar of the previous line ending in 買おう, this next line must be a separate statement: "[Horses in general / this horse in specific] will come back again to T'Bok Village."

徴集兵のバイトなんかオサラバだぜ

[徴集兵]{conscript soldier / draftee   }[の]{[POSSESSIVE]   }[バイト]{part-time job   }[なんか]{kind of thing   }[オサラバ]{farewell   }[だ]{[PREDICATE]   }[ぜ]{[EMPHATIC]}

Your specific question

Can the phrase にまた_が戻ってくるんだ have multiple meanings?

I suspect there's some confusion here. I hope the breakdown above helps explain the overall structure better.

Regarding two specific things in your question:

• The に applies to the preceding noun, and in this context it's basically "to [the village]".
  • The また is just "again". Here, it emphasizes the sense of "returning" expressed by the verb phrase 戻ってくる.

Please comment if the above does not address your question.

@ Eiríkr Útlendi Thanks for the reply! You're answer is very detailed and informative.
    – SomaRise
    Nov 4, 2020 at 19:54
  • @SomaRise, cheers! Just realized I had a brain-fart about the に, that applies to the preceding noun. Just fixed the post. :) Nov 4, 2020 at 20:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .