This is script from a game where 2 characters are talking to each other. One says:

「賞金が出たら馬を買おう
セボック村にまた馬が戻ってくるんだ
徴集兵のバイトなんかオサラバだぜ

Here is the NTSC-U version:

With a reward, I'll get a horse
and return to T'Bok Village.
It'll end my mercenary work.

I don't understand what また馬が戻ってくるんだ means exactly. Maybe, "Horses are making a comeback in T'Bok Village." or "Horses are becoming popular once again in T'Bok Village."?

The text and translation

I'm not sure what NTSC-U is, and we don't have a lot of context, but their translation seems a bit off.

Let's treat each line as a separate statement.

賞金が出たら馬を買おう

Breaking that down word by word:

[賞金]{Reward   }[が]{[SUBJ]   }[出たら]{if/when comes out   }[馬]{horse   }[を]{[OBJ]   }[買おう]{maybe/will buy}

"With a reward, I'll get a horse" → Close enough, I guess.

セボック村にまた馬が戻ってくるんだ

[セボック]{T'Bok   }[村]{village   }[に]{to   }[また]{again   }[馬]{horse   }[が]{[SUBJ]   }[戻ってくる]{return / come back   }[んだ]{[EXPLANATORY]}

"and return to T'Bok Village." → Given the grammar of the previous line ending in 買おう, this next line must be a separate statement: "[Horses in general / this horse in specific] will come back again to T'Bok Village."

徴集兵のバイトなんかオサラバだぜ

[徴集兵]{conscript soldier / draftee   }[の]{[POSSESSIVE]   }[バイト]{part-time job   }[なんか]{kind of thing   }[オサラバ]{farewell   }[だ]{[PREDICATE]   }[ぜ]{[EMPHATIC]}

Your specific question

Can the phrase にまた_が戻ってくるんだ have multiple meanings?

I suspect there's some confusion here. I hope the breakdown above helps explain the overall structure better.

Regarding two specific things in your question:

• The に applies to the preceding noun, and in this context it's basically "to [the village]".
  • The また is just "again". Here, it emphasizes the sense of "returning" expressed by the verb phrase 戻ってくる.

Please comment if the above does not address your question.

| improve this answer | |
    @ Eiríkr Útlendi Thanks for the reply! You're answer is very detailed and informative. – SomaRise Nov 4 at 19:54
  • @SomaRise, cheers! Just realized I had a brain-fart about the に, that applies to the preceding noun. Just fixed the post. :) – Eiríkr Útlendi Nov 4 at 20:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.