I've come across the expression 懐に入れた人間 a couple of times in texts describing (male) characters, e.g. 一度懐に入れた人間はとことん甘やかしてしまう, but I don't quite understand what it means. "Once he thinks dearly of someone, he will pamper that person a lot"?

There is an idiom "懐に入る", which means "to gain someone's trust and favor". For example, 彼女は人の懐に入るのがうまい. So 懐に入れた人間 means "person whom I trust and like".

To expand on Yuuichi Tam's answer, the 懐【ふところ】 is the pouch-y part of a kimono where the left and right sides of the robe overlap, and this area tends to pouch out a bit over the obi. This is where folks would traditionally keep a billfold, for example. This is pretty close to the middle of one's chest, and thus one's heart, so 懐【ふところ】に入【い】れる became a metaphor for "to let [someone] into one's heart" → "to think dearly and fondly about someone".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.