I understand that に can be used to mark the agent of an intransitive verb, but I often see it being used with adjectives instead. For example, in the sentence:

私にはできる
As for me, I can do it.

に here marks the agent of the verb. The same thing can be said about 私にはわかる. However, there are cases where に are followed by adjectives, which, although I intuitively understand the meaning, do not understand the grammar behind them.

私には金が必要です。
As for me, I need money.

寝るには早すぎる。
It's too early to sleep.

電車に詳しいです。
to know a lot about trains.

体にいいです。
It's good for your body.

子供に怖い×
Scary to children. (apparently incorrect.)

What is the function of に(は) here? In what situations can this be used?

Edit: I found a related question, and this linked one, but the first one seems to have conflicts about in which situations you can do this and the second question only uses に to mark the agent of intransitive/potential verbs. This question also asks something very similar, but the answer doesn't really address why 「子供に怖い」would be wrong.

• 子供に怖い is not wrong (although 子供にとって怖い is more common). Anyway, what you have listed is a random list of the various usages of に, and it's impossible for me to give a generalized explanation from this. – naruto Nov 2 '20 at 15:15

Ok, I asked a native about this, and this is what I got from the conversation. As @naruto says, I seem to have put a lot of different usages of に into the same generalization.

体にいいです。
It's good for your body.

子供に怖い×
Scary to children.

These seem to be contractions of にとって. I couldn't find a reason for why 子供に怖い sounds unnatural to most speakers, but this contraction seems to only work for some adjectives. I was also told that 子供に怖い映画 sounds slightly more natural because there is a noun attached to the end.

寝るには早すぎる。
It's too early to sleep.

Verb+には seems to be a fixed pattern. IMABI seems to say this can be translated to "In verb + ing". So a more literal translation would be "In sleeping, it is too early."

私には金が必要です。
As for me, I need money.

This is the purpose marker に. It shows who "needs money" and can only be used with certain adjectives like 必要.

電車に詳しいです。
to know a lot about trains.

This is the contraction of の場合には as described in this post. So, "In the case of Trains, (I) know a lot about them". If I got anything wrong, please correct me. I am not 100% sure that this is correct. Also, if you are willing to give a more detailed (or accurate response), please do.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.