I recently came accross this sentence:

旅人が言うには、腹を空かせた野生の動物たちが、山を下りているらしい。

Which I understand roughly translates to "According to the travellers, some hungry animals came down from the mountain. What I do not understand is how 言うには works here. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to fit に + contrastive は.

I would like to know how には plays a part in the meaning "according to". Or maybe if 言うには is just a set phrase, I would be satisfied with that explanation as well.

This に is a particle explained here: What does the に do in 表情から察するに? This は is a topic marker and is optional here.

This type of に is literary and used mainly in written Japanese. It attaches to only a small group of verbs (言う, 見る, 聞く, 思う, 考える, 察する, etc.) in modern Japanese, so I think it's okay to think of them as just a group of similar set phrases. (In classical Japanese, it was a simple conjunctive particle similar to と.)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.