Especially in the context of this sentence:

およそ二十キロ四方の巨大な湖は、ひっくり返した瓢簞のような形をしており、上の湖と下の湖に分かれている。

To my understanding, this sentence translates as "This lake was approximately twenty square kilometers in size, and resembled an inverted gourd, divided into an upper and lower lake." But I've seen a translation which said "This enormous lake had a radius of approximately twenty kilometers," which I don't particularly get. キロ四方 means 'square kilometer', right? Is "radius of 20 kilometers" a mistranslation?

I would say neither of the translations is correct. 20キロ四方 basically means "20 km × 20 km" (that is, 400 km2). 四方 literally means "four sides (of a square)". 平方キロ is the word for "square kilometer" (平方 = square, x2).

• 20キロ四方 = 20 km × 20 km
  • 20平方キロ = 20 km2 = 20 square kilometers

(Confusingly, we also say 20キロ平方, which literally means "20 kilometer's square" and thus is a synonym for 20キロ四方 = 20 km × 20 km.)

For example, this article says 5キロ四方 referring to a 5 km square grid (i.e., each cell is 25 km2 in area).

キロ四方 is usually used with square-like objects, but of course a real lake is not square. In a case like this, you can think it's roughly 20 km in diameter (not radius), or "20 km from north to south and 20 km from east to west".

• But it's kinda hard to imagine an inverted gourd shape (I'm picturing something shaped a bit like an 8) having something you can call a diameter. – user40750 Oct 28 '20 at 15:26
  • @user40750 Correct, please see the edit. Basically you can imagine a "bounding box" of 20km四方 (20 km × 20 km). – naruto Oct 28 '20 at 15:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.