I came across a sentence that has puzzled me.

今度ばかりはいたずらでは済まされません。

Why is では used here?

do you have any sense of what the sentence says? the more you can provide about what you already understand the better we can help you.
    – A.Ellett
    Oct 21 '20 at 23:50
  • Hi! Someone guilty of pulling pranks stole something important. It upset the village he lives in, and a townsman said to this to their elder. I understand it to mean, "This time we can't just chalk this up to a prank." I don't grammatically understand why that particle was used, although I understand the meaning behind the sentence. Oct 23 '20 at 18:10

済む is a set phrase that means "to get away with ~".

これで済んだと思うなよ。
You won't get away with this.

ここから落ちたら怪我では済まない。
If you fall from here, you can't just get hurt and survive.

いたずらで済ませる means "to get away calling it a prank", "to forget thinking of it as a prank", etc. は is used because it's a negative sentence (see: Why is the topic marker often used in negative statements (ではない, ~とは思わない)?).

My student just asked me 2 grammars. "~で済む" and "~ないで済む" can be translated as "get by doing something/done by something"

今度ばかりはいたずらでは済まされません。
=> It can not be done by a joke.

では was used but not で because は is used to show the meaning which is similar to ほど. 強調という役割で使われています。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.