I have been pursuing a career in music under the name “Maigo” and I even have the kanji writing of the word tattooed on myself. Would this make sense in japan

• This is off-topic because it's opinion-based. – istrasci Oct 21 at 17:32
  • Do you mean "maiko"? Because that's a lot more music-related than "maigo", and I'm unsure if there's an over-generalization of rendaku (voiced second kanji) or not. – Soron Oct 22 at 9:21

"Maigo" (迷子 in kanji) is a common Japanese word which normally refers to this, a lost child which you would see in a department store. Sometimes it can refer to someone who got lost in general.

迷子

Is this what you have in mind (and on your skin)? Whether you like it or not, a Japanese speaker who heard "maigo" would probably wonder "Does this name have anything to do with lost children?"

• If your name has nothing to do with 迷子, you don't have to worry much. A coincidence like this happens often.
  • Or was your name really taken from 迷子? 迷子 is a rather prosaic Japanese word, and it sounds a bit odd as a stage name. Still, being a bit odd is not necessarily bad, so ultimately it's up to you.
| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.