The etymology of the very casual greeting 「ヤッホー」 appears disputed and undecided. Various theories and hypotheses have been suggested. This site lists German, Hebrew, and 山伏 as possible sources. A lot of places claim it was a mountain climbing term (this, this, and many others). My question is when did it become popularized among young people as a fashionable greeting? When did become a thing in Japan? Where did it start? Did it start among members of a subculture (e.g. various teen subcultures in 渋谷/原宿)? I know the term has been around for at least 10, 15 years.

Could you explain what made you think ヤッホー is a fashionable greeting that may be related to 渋谷/原宿 subcultures? Did you hear it used in an anime, for example?
    – naruto
    Oct 21 '20 at 6:48
    I hear it used pretty frequently among my friends as a really casual greeting. Usually pronounced やっほ though. Oct 21 '20 at 6:51
    I googled 挨拶 ヤッホー but found nothing related to "recent fashion"...some believe it's 昭和-ish and some believe it's simply odd/rare. I think it's been used by a few speakers for decades, but it's never been "popular"... (This article was interesting)
    – naruto
    Oct 21 '20 at 8:02
    チョリーッスとかは recent fad と言えると思いますがヤッホーは遙かに古いです。ただ使う人が少ないだけで。まあ流石に「チャオ」や「アロハ」よりは relatively popular だと思いますが…。
    – naruto
    Oct 22 '20 at 0:36
    I wonder if the use as a greeting might be related to slang coinage patterns based on sound swaps and reversals. おはよう → drop the honorific = はよう → swap the consonant sounds = やほう → adding emphasis = やっほう. Possibly inspired by 倒語【とうご】, but taking things in a different direction. Oct 22 '20 at 8:49

No one says yahoo in Japan. Some decades (around 100-70) ago , Yahoo was used for making echo or voice call someone in the distance at mountain site. Yahoo is recognized as a calling in laud voice for distance , so It may use for joking. Never used as a popular greeting. Decent people does not yahoo for greeting.

The word itself has been widely recognized for a long time as "something you shout in the mountains". Even novels written in the 1950's have examples of ヤッホー.

In town, it may be used very occasionally as a humorous, unique greeting. Well, sometimes people feel おはよう is too uninteresting and want to say something different. I may have heard ヤッホー used in this way once or twice in the last 20 years. However I don't think it has ever been "popularized among young people as a fashionable greeting" in the 21st century. This is an old word everyone knows since childhood, and as far as I know, there is no reason for it to suddenly become a fashion. Theoretically, there may be a community (e.g., fans of a singer) where ヤッホー is used as a popular greeting, but I am not aware of such an example.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.