In context, his girlfriend did something embarrassing and he called her out on it.

恥ずかしさを誤魔化すように、俺をそっと抱きしめ、そして右頬にキスをしてくる

I ask this because I have seen other sentences where 誤魔化す is used with ために e.g.

可愛く見せるだけでなく、恥ずかしさを誤魔化すために写真の前で舌を出す人は意外と多いはずです

This clearly states that it was done in order to hide their embarrassment. From my understanding ように and ために are not interchangeable, so I'm wondering if 誤魔化す can somehow be used with both ように and ために, or if the ように used above is not the same meaning as "so that".

• Do Tim's and ssb's answers to this question help?japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/12450/…
    – Nanigashi
    Oct 19, 2020 at 19:29
    Yes and no. In general, most usages of ように and ために are easy enough to understand when it means "so that" or "in order to "。However when ように is used with a verb before it that is not in the potential / ない form then it is not as clear.
    – renzoko
    Oct 20, 2020 at 8:28
  • ssb says ように is the appropriate choice when the actor doesn't have complete control over the outcome. My guess as a non-native speaker is that the verb 誤魔化す is something of a borderline case, since dissembling is easier in some circumstances than in others & people's confidence in their ability to hide their feelings may vary. In your first example, we know the girlfriend's effort to hide her embarrassment failed – otherwise, her boyfriend couldn't have written the sentence. I think this makes ように the only choice, but I hope you'll get an authoritative answer. This is a great question!
    – Nanigashi
    Oct 20, 2020 at 15:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.