I would like to get faith in Japanese for a tattoo. This is what I’ve seen. “信” and “信頼“ What is the difference between the two?

New contributor
Marty is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    There is not a one-to-one correspondence between Japanese and English words. What exactly do you mean by 'faith' and what sentiment do you intend it to convey? – user3856370 2 days ago

I believe that "信" has the meaning of trust or believing in something, for example:

妖精を信じてるのか。
Do you believe in fairies?

Whereas "信頼" is the word I would use for a more "serious" kind of trust, for example:

私は医者を完全に信頼している。
I have complete trust in my doctor.

If you want the term "faith" in a religious sense for your tattoo I would look into "信仰" instead. Another example:

母はキリスト教を信仰している。
My mother believes in Christianity.

I took all of these examples from Jisho.org, a place I would recommend you consult before getting your tattoo!

| improve this answer | |
New contributor
Lae is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

信 or 信頼 is not come to my mind as a translation of faith. Probably , Japanese does not have the perfect matching word with the faith.

信:Trust , Belief, truth ,signal ,message ,etc. (multi meaning word) 信頼:Trust

| improve this answer | |
New contributor
user40637 is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

Marty is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.