What is the exact sentiment expressed by も in this sentence as opposed to が?

日本ではクモを見ると良いことがあると言う人もいますよ

It's a sentence in response to someone saying "I saw a spider in my room, I was scared".

2 Answers 2

も is used instead of が to add the meaning of "even" or "also." See for comparison the following examples:

日本ではクモを見ると良いことがあると言う人がいますよ

In Japan, there are people who say that seeing a spider is a good thing.

日本ではクモを見ると良いことがあると言う人もいますよ

In Japan, there are also people who say that seeing a spider is a good thing.

Depending on context, one can also translate も as "even," as Istraci does:

In Japan, there are even people who say that seeing a spider is a good thing.

So も introduces an element of comparison, implying that there are people who think that seeing a spider may be a good thing, as well as those who think that it is a bad thing. In natural colloquial English, perhaps one could drop the "even" or "also," as these seem somewhat stilted in the context of a conversation, and introduce a word like "well" instead:

部屋でクモを見て、怖かった!

日本ではクモを見ると良いことがあると言う人もいますよ。

I got scared because I saw a spider in my room!

Well, in Japan there are people who say that seeing a spider is a good thing.

I am not sure if it is more correct to translate this sentence in the following way: "There are also/even people who say that seeing a spider in Japan is a good thing. " Any opinions?
    – yadokari
    Oct 23, 2012 at 16:31
    @yadokari I don't think any native speaker would understand 日本では to be the place of action of seeing a spider. If there was no は, then yeah, of course. But with the は it can only refer to the place where people who say (such and such) are. But I really like that last translation in your answer! Very natural.
    – By137
    Oct 23, 2012 at 16:55
    Yadokari, regardless of what @By137 says, the sentence can have your alternate meaning, at least if you allow for confusing lack of punctuation. There is nothing wrong with 日本ではクモを見ると良いことがある、と言う人もいますよ, bringing 日本では into the quotation. I agree with By137, though, that the most natural parse of the sentence is 日本では、クモを見ると良いことがあると言う人もいますよ
    – dainichi
    Oct 24, 2012 at 23:46
    Yes @By137, I mean "as opposed to other places". We're not disagreeing about what the sentence is likely to mean. I just didn't want yadokari to think that having は under the quotation is not grammatically valid.
    – dainichi
    Oct 27, 2012 at 13:37
    But actually, I realize I was wrong too, since having the は under the quotation would mean "There are also/even people who say that [seeing a spider is a good thing in Japan]." which is slightly different from yadokari's translation.
    – dainichi
    Oct 27, 2012 at 13:44

It's saying "There are even people who say..." Since it's not really the norm to think that spiders are a good thing, it's emphasizing that there are some who do think so. が would work fine as well, but the も gives it the emphasis that even though this thing is unexpected or in the minority, there are some people who take that side.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .