They all sound so similar to me, I want to know how I can tell the difference these since they make the same sound. (Please excuse me if I’m wrong I’m very new to Japanese and currently learning hiragana)

If you speak English with any amount of ease, then distinguishing between ざ (za) and だ (da) should not be difficult. じ and ぢ are essentially pronounced identically in modern standard Japanese. Similarly ず and づ are pronounced the same. Historically there may have been differences between these, but I don't know anything about that. As for ぜ (ze) ,で (de), ぞ (zo), and ど (do), these are pronounced as indicated in the parentheses.
    – A.Ellett
    Oct 16 '20 at 1:22
    Yes, if you are not a native English speaker, that is helpful to know, because it will allow the answerer to understand the position you are asking the question from.
    – Leebo
    Oct 16 '20 at 3:04
  • my native language is english but this helped a lot as well since I struggle with it sometimes since I like to talk a lot in spanish. Thank you for adding the pronunciations! It is very helpful Oct 16 '20 at 11:03

I'm Mikiko Iwasaki. すみません。My name probably appears in Kanji. I am a native Japanese speaker and a professional Japanese language teacher. Historically, 「じ」and 「ぢ」have different sounds, and「ず」and 「づ」have different sounds. But in modern Japanese, they are pronounced the same in most areas in Japan, じ[ji], ぢ[ji], and ず[zu], づ[zu]. As Ellettさん writes, ざ[za] and だ[da] have different sounds. ざline syllables have [z] + [a], [e], [o], and だline syllables have [d] + [a], [e], [o]. If you can pronounce or if you can check the pronunciation of "Zambia," the name of the country, and "diamond," the first sounds of each word are similar to ざ[za] and だ[da]. So, please try.

• thank you so much! I was actually watching a video and it sounded like both were saying it with D. Im glad that it's cleared up now. Oct 16 '20 at 11:00
  • Remember to click the check mark if this answered your question, so other people can see it when they find this question. Oct 23 '20 at 6:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.