I read that 笛 can be interpreted as もにか, I was wondering if that's only used for names and if that reading is common/would be understood? Or is it more of a "kirakira" name?

Thank you for your insight

• I'm curious where you found this reading for this character. According to my dictionary (角川の漢和中辞典), the readings for 笛 are ふえ, テキ, and ジャク. Now in novels etc kanji can be given all sorts of different readings to suit the purpose of the work. – A.Ellett Oct 16 at 0:48
  • I've seen it as a name reading on a few websites, so I was curious if it was commonly known. I'm guessing if someone's name was written as 笛 it would be assumed to be a different reading such as ふえ? – otter Oct 16 at 2:54
  • 1978年の大河ドラマ 「黄金の日日」(wikipedia) にそういう名前の登場人物が出ているようです.堺の豪商で敬虔なキリシタンの娘で本人もキリシタンという設定とのこと.笛とかいてモニカと読むのか洗礼名なのか見た限りでは判然としませんでした – Yosh Oct 16 at 5:15
  • あぁなるほどですね.情報ありがとうございます. – otter Oct 16 at 19:35

It's not a common reading at all, and I knew no one whose name is 笛【モニカ】. If a real Japanese child had a name like this today, people would almost certainly call it a "kirakira name". But character names in fiction are often unique, and "kirakira name" is usually not used to describe such names, especially when the work is not set in modern Japan.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.