I recently came across this: 家族のありがたさをつくづくと感じる

On first inspection I presumed it meant that he was feeling how grateful his family was of him however the text was translated as:

家族のありがたさをつくづくと感じる - I feel deeply grateful to my family

How can you tell whether it was the family's gratefulness or person/author? Thanks

If you look 有難さ up in the jisho.org, it actually means "value, virtue, blessing", not "gratefulness" as one would expect. I'm not a native so I can't be 100% sure, but if this is correct then it changes the entire meaning of the sentence. The sentence would probably literally mean "I keenly feel the virtues/value of my family."
    – Shurim
    Oct 13, 2020 at 1:08

1 Answer 1

Okay, I got a bit too curious for my own good and looked it up. I think the assumption in my comment was correct. 有難さ doesn't actually mean gratefulness according to kotobank. It actually means "something to be grateful for" or "value". I found two examples where it actually expresses this. The first is an example I found on tatoeba.

水不足の時、水のありがたさを骨身にしみて感じた。
During the water shortage, the value of water really came home to me.

Another one I found was a sentence on a hinative post comparing 有難み and 有難さ. They essentially mean the same thing.

大人になって、初めて親のありがたさがわかる。
Once I became an adult, I finally realized (how much my parents did for me / that I should be grateful for my parents).

If you think about it, this makes sense. 有難い doesn't actually describe a grateful person, it expresses that you are grateful for what it describes. For example, 有難いこと means "something that (we) should be grateful for. You wouldn't say 私は有難い.

So, I think the original translation of your sentence was correct. I hope this clears things up. Also, if I got something wrong, please correct me.

Edit: Here's another example I found on Weblio

あなたのそのお気持ちは大変有難い。
I am grateful for your feelings.

I realized I didn't really address the order of の, but I think you already know that in AのB, A always describes/possesses B.
    – Shurim
    Oct 13, 2020 at 3:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .