I think this topic is also addressed in this post, but it doesn't address how に works outside of contexts where the speaker is trying to "trying to think of/recall things". I'd like someone to explain how に is used conjunctively in objective contexts. I've seen examples of sentences where に is used conjunctively when the speaker is narrating a story, which (I think) it wouldn't make sense to think that the narrator is "trying to remember" these nouns.

One example I found in a book I was reading is:

そんなロレンスとホロが入った店は、小さな宿に併設の酒場だ。
The store that Lawrence and Holo entered was a small inn combined with a bar.

I think I might be reading this wrong, and the する after 併設 is just omitted in this sentence. In that case, I assume に is just marking the object of the する verb.

This に is not a conjunctive or listing particle, but is a particle used with 併設.

小さな宿に併設の酒場
= 小さな宿併設されている酒場
= a bar attached to a small inn

We can say this because 店 can refer to a restaurant/bar/izakaya, but not to a hotel/inn. They entered a 酒場, not a 宿.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.