I'm watching Tanya the evil to learn some more complicated kanji and speech, and this one sentence I don't understand completely the usage of と in the sentence “つまりは勝利をめざさないと”. The translation that's given says "In other words, You wouldn't try to win?". Is と used to make a question? From what I know about the usage of と, it's used to imply something in an If/Then format.

• without further context, but given the translation, i would say that the unspoken part of this fragment would be something like いうつもりですか (or whatever level of politeness/informality is called for, which i’m guessing should probably be なの instead of ですか but i went with the more formal ending). – A.Ellett Oct 8 '20 at 12:52

つまりは勝利をめざさないと can be interpreted in two ways:

1. つまりは「勝利をめざさない」と(言っているのか)。
    So, you are saying "I won't try to win"(, huh?)
  2. つまりは勝利をめざさないと(いけない)。
    So, you must try to win.

If 1 is correct, と is a quotative particle without an explicit corresponding verb like 言っている or 考えている. That is, と implies 勝利をめざさない is someone else's statement (in this case, "your" statement).

If 2 is correct, と is a conditional particle, and ないと means "if not" as a whole. As you probably know, Japanese negative-if's commonly mean "have to" by themselves without explicitly saying the corresponding main clause.

行かないと。
= 行かなければ。
= 行かなくては。
= 行かなくちゃ。
= I must go. / I gotta go.

I can't tell which is the correct interpretation without the context and the audio source. There is usually a small pause before と if it's 1. Either way, と is not a question particle by itself.

• There was a small pause before the と , So 1 is the right usage I think. Thank you :) – doukyuusei Oct 10 '20 at 1:45

There exists more と particles

• and/with と
  • conditional (if) と
  • quotation particle と
  • possibly と related to to-adverbs (maybe it's related to quotation? But that's just my guess)
  • (and maybe more?)

This is a case of a quotation particle と, similarly like " quotes in English (however it only marks the ending of a quote), but と can mark both direct and indirect quote.

The speaker here is rephrasing what the other person has said/implied/conveyed (or the speaker thinks they did), this is also hinted by つまり. Whether this is a question or not will explicitly be given mostly in intonation, whether the ending is rising (a question) or not (a statement), not by a presence of と. This particle can be used for statements just as well.

This sentence is incomplete in that it is missing a main verb, which is often the case with と particle - from context we can typically infer that the speaker meant a form of 言う、 聞く、考える or similar

• I think that what you're suggesting is technically correct (though I'm not 100% sure), but ないと as an omissive form of ないといけない is so idiomatic and common that it's much more likely that @naruto's answer is the right guess. – Right leg Oct 8 '20 at 22:09
  • Thank you (it's Naruto's option 1 so I think at least technically it should be). I trusted the original translator to have the context and information, but ... should have tried to think outside of that as well – NoxArt Oct 9 '20 at 4:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.