is there a significant difference between 道具{どうぐ} & 工具{こうぐ}? They both seem to mean tool, but the former has a longer list of than the latter but all still basically tool/instrument. Also how is 具{ぐ} different?

道具 refers to tools in general. 工具 refers to hand tools used to build or fix something, such as hammers, screwdrivers, saws, wire cutters, monkey wrenches and so on:

Examples of 工具

All 工具 are also 道具, but the opposite is not true. Kitchen knifes, nail clippers, clothespins and fish poles are 道具 but not 工具.

• I asked this because I'm working on a "japanized" toki pona. It has a very small vocabulary, resulting in the words being very generic, so 道具 would be used for "ilo"(tool). A hand tool would just be something like 手道具{てどうぐ}. I'm still not sure how much grammar to derive from Japanese.
    – jastako
    Oct 8 '20 at 19:49
  • @jastako 手道具 makes little sense in Japanese. Imagine tools you typically need for DIY projects, and they are 工具. I don't know how it's rendered in toki pona.
    – naruto
    Oct 8 '20 at 21:20
  • Toki pona only has a vocabulary of about 124 words, so the toki pona equivalent would be ijo luka (tool hand). The adjective follows the noun. I just reversed the order to adjective+noun as English & as far as I know Japanese does, so it becomes 手+道具.
    – jastako
    Oct 9 '20 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.