The sentence I am talking about is ジュースが出る大きいな桃 .

I don't understand why 大きいな桃 is written at the end. I would say something like:

ジュースが大きいな桃から出る

Thanks

• As user3856370 mentioned in the answer, 大きいな桃 is a typo. Probably this one is written with 体言止め. The impression on me is peach is so flesh that you can drink juice from it. Oct 4, 2020 at 23:43

1 Answer 1

Looks like you've been reading this this article.

ジュースが出る大きいな桃 comes from a news headline and it is not a full sentence. Just like in English headlines you don't normally write full sentences.

It's simply a noun phrase: a description of a peach.

Big peach that juice comes from.

I haven't read the article but (from the picture) you might imagine the full sentence would be something like "There is a shop with a big peach that juice comes out of". Not a very snappy headline.

Maybe I should explain the grammar too. 桃 is being modified by two things. The first is a simple na-adjective, 大きな (note that there is a typo in your sentence 大きな). The second is a full sentence called a relative clause ジュースが出る. In Japanese full sentences/phrases can modify nouns just like adjectives.

• Just a note on terminology, but a relative clause is not a full sentence. You could call it a verb phrase instead.
    – kandyman
    Oct 5, 2020 at 19:39
  • @kandyman Sorry, only just seen your comment. I think I must have had some terminology confusion for a long time. Are you saying ジュースが出る is not a relative clause? It's a peach that juice comes out of. I've always thought of things which come after 'that', 'which' etc as relative clauses. Am I wrong? Thanks for clarifying. Oct 9, 2020 at 17:12
  • No I’m saying exactly that, i.e. it’s a relative clause. You seemed to imply that a relative clause was a type of sentence. In terms of hierarchy, a clause is lower than a sentence.
    – kandyman
    Oct 9, 2020 at 17:40
  • In other words ジュースが出る。 on its own is a full sentence. As a relative clause modifying something, it is no longer a full sentence.
    – kandyman
    Oct 9, 2020 at 18:40
  • @kandyman Okay. I didn't mean to imply that. Perhaps I didn't phrase it as well as I could have. Thanks. Oct 9, 2020 at 18:57

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .