The sentence I am talking about is ジュースが出る大きいな桃 .

I don't understand why 大きいな桃 is written at the end. I would say something like:

ジュースが大きいな桃から出る

Thanks

• As user3856370 mentioned in the answer, 大きいな桃 is a typo. Probably this one is written with 体言止め. The impression on me is peach is so flesh that you can drink juice from it. Oct 4 '20 at 23:43

Looks like you've been reading this this article.

ジュースが出る大きいな桃 comes from a news headline and it is not a full sentence. Just like in English headlines you don't normally write full sentences.

It's simply a noun phrase: a description of a peach.

Big peach that juice comes from.

I haven't read the article but (from the picture) you might imagine the full sentence would be something like "There is a shop with a big peach that juice comes out of". Not a very snappy headline.

Maybe I should explain the grammar too. 桃 is being modified by two things. The first is a simple na-adjective, 大きな (note that there is a typo in your sentence 大きな). The second is a full sentence called a relative clause ジュースが出る. In Japanese full sentences/phrases can modify nouns just like adjectives.

• Just a note on terminology, but a relative clause is not a full sentence. You could call it a verb phrase instead.
    – kandyman
    Oct 5 '20 at 19:39
  • @kandyman Sorry, only just seen your comment. I think I must have had some terminology confusion for a long time. Are you saying ジュースが出る is not a relative clause? It's a peach that juice comes out of. I've always thought of things which come after 'that', 'which' etc as relative clauses. Am I wrong? Thanks for clarifying. Oct 9 '20 at 17:12
  • No I’m saying exactly that, i.e. it’s a relative clause. You seemed to imply that a relative clause was a type of sentence. In terms of hierarchy, a clause is lower than a sentence.
    – kandyman
    Oct 9 '20 at 17:40
  • In other words ジュースが出る。 on its own is a full sentence. As a relative clause modifying something, it is no longer a full sentence.
    – kandyman
    Oct 9 '20 at 18:40
  • @kandyman Okay. I didn't mean to imply that. Perhaps I didn't phrase it as well as I could have. Thanks. Oct 9 '20 at 18:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.