I heard that when a non-living object does an action (verbs), it always uses the「が」particle, and when I searched for examples, it seems correct, since「は」always seems to be used as contrastive. However, after I learned about the Exhaustive and Neutral「が」, I don't know why the Neutral one is used here if it's not the Exhaustive:

車が壊れた。 タイヤがパンクした。

I also learned that intransitive verbs always use「が」(Or contrastive は) as well, so, how is it related to neutral「が」?

• What you heard is not true. It's not always. – user4092 Oct 3 '20 at 23:46

The use of が as a subject-marker is not limited to non-living entities. When a person performs an action, they are also marked with が. It can be transitive or intransitive. For example:

田中さん[subject] 来ました。Mr Tanaka arrived. (intransitive)

田中さん[subject] ピザを食べました。Mr Tanaka ate pizza. (transitive).

The distinction between using は (topic marker) or が (subject marker) has been discussed at length on the site.

• So what is the difference between this が and は?, are they interchangeable? – ひろし Oct 5 '20 at 20:16
  • That is a separate question and I suggest you do a search on the site. There are many threads dealing with that. It’s not a simple question and requires research. – kandyman Oct 5 '20 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.