I was texted this message:

わたしのニックネームはさとなので、さとって呼んでください

I'm guessing it means "my nickname is Sato, please call me Sato" but I don't understand the grammar. What's "なので"? How does one use the verb 呼んで, why is there a って before?

Not sure how much you know so I hope this isn't too patronising.

わたしのニックネームはさとなので ...
My nickname is Sato so ...

The base sentence here is X = わたしのニックネームはさとです.

Xので means 'because X ...' or 'X, so ...'. But you can't attach ので to directly to です. Normally, conjunctions attach to the informal form (that would be です --> だ), but we never say だので either. The だ changes to な (probably for good reasons I don't understand) to give AはBなのでC = "A is B so C".

さとって呼{よ}んでください
please call me Sato

In this sentence って is just a casual form of the quotation particle と: the particle that is used with verbs like いう and おもう among others.

I find it helps to think of this particle meaning 'as', especially if it also takes an object:

XをYと呼{よ}ぶ
Call X (as) Y

e.g. 犬{いぬ}をわんちゃんと呼{よ}ぶ = "Call the dog (as) Wanchan".

Beware though that in other contexts って can be a casual form of は or of the whole という. Context and experience will tell you which is which.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.